There are no separate modes for timing and transcribing captions in Ooona. Depending on your preference, you can choose to type and time captions simultaneously or transcribe the audio and then time the caption blocks.
Below is a step-by-step guide to timing captions in Ooona if you have already created caption blocks from scratch or if you have cleared existing timings.
A video demo of this process can be viewed in our tutorials.
Step by step
- Click into your first caption block
- Press Tab to play the video until you hear the start of dialogue which matches the beginning of your caption block
- Press Tab to pause the video when you hear the first word that matches your text
- Use your keyboard shortcuts to navigate forward or back until you’re at the exact time the first word starts
- Press Home to set your start sync time
- Here, you’ll notice the caption block now has timing information and will appear on the Timeline.
- Press Tab again and play until you hear the dialogue that matches the last word in your caption block. Press End to set your end sync time.
- Here, you’ll notice the caption block now has an end sync point on the Timeline. It can now be dragged and edited with the mouse
- Press ctrl+down to jump to the next caption
Repeat steps 2-8 until all the caption blocks are timed.
Sometimes, you may need to clear captions of their timecodes in Ooona. To do this, you need to go to the Timecode menu and select Clear timecodes.
You will then be prompted to select which captions you would like to clear.
Input the number of the first caption you want to clear below ‘Start index’, and the number of the last caption you want to clear beneath ‘End index’. Press clear.